Whether you’re a professional chef or an amateur cook, chances are you have your select go-to items when it comes to kitchen gadgets and gear. Every single nook and cranny of my tiny New York City apartment is packed with everyday and obscure items, from my favorite tongs and Dutch oven to my OCD cutting board and leopard print oven mitts.
Check out my list below for the top five kitchen gadgets I can’t live without, and then share your go-to gadgets in the Comments section below!
- Flexible cutting mats: You name it, and I slice and dice it on my colorful array of foldable plastic cutting mats (pictured above). The mats’ flexible shape allows for the easy transfer of chopped foods from your countertop to your stock pot, while a variety of colors create contamination-free cutting with specific mats for chicken, fish, veggies, and beef. Best of all, they’re dishwasher-safe.
Price: $16 (for a set of three)
Where to Buy: Pampered Chef
- Fish Spatula: I was first introduced to the many uses of fish spatulas while in culinary school, and I have been hooked ever since. In addition to mess-free fish flipping, this flexible, thin spatula is the ultimate tool for handling pancakes, crepes, cookies, tarts, veggies, and more.
Where to Buy: Crate&Barrel
- BeaterBlade: I’m a recent convert to the popular spatula-slash-paddle attachment for stand mixers. This simple gadget takes on the dual role of mixer and bowl scraper, leaving you less to lick from the bowl and more to pour into the cake pan.
Price: $24.99 – $29.95
Where to Buy: BeaterBlade
- Salt Pig: The salt pig has become my new favorite kitchen staple, as it not only keeps my most essential spice within reach, but it also prevents salt from attracting moisture and clumping together. Salt pigs feature a wide mouth for easy access and ensure your salt is dust- and stray-food free.
Where to Buy: Williams-Sonoma
- Silpats: My mom introduced me to the wonders of Silpats when I was first starting to cook, and needless to say, I have since made the switch from parchment paper to the no-stick mats as the ultimate baking companion. Available in a wide variety of sizes and shapes, the mats’ stick-free surfaces produce perfect baked goods time and time again.
Price: $11.95 – $23.95 (depending on size)
Where to Buy: Silpat