Photo by Getty Images
Two years ago the popularity of Champagne soared, provoking talk of a Gold Rush. In 2008 the region warned of a coming severe Champagne shortage. It seemed as if new, thirsty drinkers—Russians, Indians and Chinese—were so enthusiastic for sublime bubbles that the well was to run dry. The ups and downs of life and wine inevitably reflect the stock market. On the tail of euphoria (and greed), Lehman Brothers crashed, and many Champagne drinkers jumped ship to prosecco. Sacrilege!
Get the storied history behind awards night bubbly with an in-depth look at Grower Champagne, and then toast to an award-worthy lineup of pairings as we match some of Hollywood’s hottest stars to their choice Champagne. From Colin Firth to Nicole Kidman, we’ve got the red carpet covered.
For the full story and more, download the free Gourmet Live app.
With the Oscar’s just two days away, we’ve rounded up a list of elegant recipes that are lit with the Midas touch. From crispy beignets to blow-torched crème brûlée, these golden recipes emit an Oscar-worthy glow — the perfect bites to brighten up your spread for a star-filled night.
RSS feed for this blog.
Sign up for our email list.
Join us on Facebook.
- Irresistible Biscuit Beignets with Praline Sauce from Kevin & Amanda are fried until golden crisp and dusted with powdered sugar. The secret is in the rich, silky praline sauce which oozes beautifully into the crispy folds of the beignet (pictured above).
- Your guests will love Limoncello & Meyer Lemon Cupcakes from 52 Kitchen Adventures, which are filled with a tart lemon curd and covered in layers of cream cheese frosting. Top each cupcake with half an orange slice for an elegant effect and a kick of citrus flavor.
- Bring out the blowtorch to create Crème Brûlée from The Fresh Fridge. The same caramelized effect can be conjured up under the broiler for a slightly burnt top which cracks into a soft custard filling.
- White chunks of feta are contrasted with the bright orange hue of sweet potatoes in this Sweet Potato Tart with Rosemary and Feta from Seandi Foodie. It’s a celebrity-worthy sweet and a savory dish guaranteed to be an instant hit.
- Homemade Pretzel Bites from Dine & Dish are simple to make, and bake to a beautiful golden brown. The dough can be folded into a pretzel or shaped into bite-size rounds.
- Whole Lemon Bars from david lebovitz are a sweet, indulgent treat that can be baked ahead of time. Your guests will love the crumbly golden brown crust and the tart filling made with fresh lemon juice.