There is nothing better than a sturdy, autumnal pumpkin dish, and Halloween is the perfect day to transform the gourd into a ghoulish dish. Pumpkin Gnocchi with Sage Brown Butter and Feta from Reclaiming Provincial stars homemade, pillowy gnocchi fried in sage brown butter until golden and crisp. A final sprinkle of crumbled feta lends a smooth and humble tang.
To the home chef, cheesemaking might appear to be a laborious process and an enigmatic art form. How can an ingredient as pure and simple as milk be crafted into hundreds of different varietals? Though I prefer my cheese hard and pungent−the kind that makes itself known as soon as its peeled from the protective plastic wrapping—there is something about a mild and silky fresh ricotta that screams springtime.
The cheesecloth veil has lifted, and with only three fridge staples plus a bit of salt, you can easily make your own Homemade Fresh Ricotta to top pasta, like Warm Pasta Salad with Roasted Corn and Poblano, or to turn into nutmeg-dusted Ricotta Gnocchi. However, a schmear of the fresh stuff on crusty bread with a little drizzle of honey and black pepper should never be underestimated either!
- Dash of East‘s Lemon Blueberry Pierogi with Spiced Sour Cream fill traditional Portuguese half-moon dumplings with blueberries and lemon zest (pictured above).
- Kurryleaves gives exotic dessert dumplings a try with her Gulab Jamun (deep-fried milk powder and yogurt served in a pool of cardamom and saffron-flavored sugar syrup).
- Gnocchi are traditionally made with potatoes, but Dishing the Divine puts a cheesy change on her recipe making them them with flour and ricotta. She boils and fries her Ricotta Gnocchi leaving them pillowy on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
- Smoky Wok simplifies the once intimidating Chinese Red Bean Steamed Buns so that you can make this sweet component of dim sum from your own kitchen.
- Each tiny pyramid-shaped dumpling in What You Give Away You Keep‘s Turkish Manti Dumplings are stuffed with spiced ground lamb and topped with a garlic yogurt sauce.
- For comfort food from sown south, try The Cooking Bride’s Mamaw’s Chicken and Dumplings.
- A sugar cube is stuffed inside a whole apricot wrapped in a potato dumpling in Cooking Weekend‘s version of Austrian Apricot Dumplings.