Cooler weather stimulates a taste for heartier fare, but it’s still warm enough for dining outdoors. Emily Hilliard of Nothing-in-the-House and photographer Stephanie Breijo packed this Tri-color Potato Galette for a picnic in Washington, D.C.’s Rock Creek Park. With caramelized onion, goat cheese and rosemary, the free-form tart is a vibrant introduction to autumn.
A beautiful thing happens when flour is cut with fat: the pastry is born, and with it, a variable array of appetizers, entrees, and desserts. The tart, marked by its crisp, crimped edges, is often reinterpreted. Fold the crust free of form and it becomes a galette, or build it top to bottom for an upside-down tarte tatin. Each remains a buttery vessel for showcasing fresh fruits, savory vegetables, or rich cheeses. Crumbs will fall.
- Yummy Supper’s Spinach Galette with Wild Mushrooms amplifies the earthiness of fresh mushrooms and peppery spinach with a heaping cup of salty Parmesan (pictured above).
- Cook Republic’s Sour Cream Tart tops a thick layer of creamy, tangy ricotta and sour cream with roasted eggplant, sweet potato, and Spanish onion for a savory twist on the custard-filled pastry.
- Willow Bird Baking’s Sweet Potato and Chorizo Hand Tarts combines smoky sausage, cumin-scented black beans, and sweet potatoes in a savory, adult-friendly take on Pop Tarts.
- With a little mustard and a lot of butter, Delicious Shot pulls off a unique crust that can stand up to the richness of her Onion and Goat Cheese Tart.
- An Edible Mosaic’s Belgian Endive Tarte Tatin finds this bitter-turned-caramelized chicory playing a game of hide and seek under a blanket of puff pastry.
- Feasting at Home grabs the poppy seeds and ditches the cookie-cutter tart shell for a Rustic Strawberry Galette with Seeded Rye Crust brimming with ripe, red berries and a bit of balsamic vinegar.
- Drizzle and Dip’s Salted Caramel and Chocolate Tart oozes gooey caramel sauce beneath a thick layer of honey-scented chocolate ganache.
Stephanie Shih of Desserts for Breakfast whipped up a sweet and savory tart perfect for anytime snacking. To create the Gorgonzola, Pear and Balsamic Honey Galette, she made a pastry dough flecked with fresh thyme, filled it with crumbled gorgonzola and sliced red pears, and then gave it a final brush with a balsamic-honey glaze.