Duck fat imparts a marvelous richness to everything from pan-fried potatoes to baked goods. Anything cooked with it just seems like a luxury, an indulgence. Whenever I visit my friend in Portland, Maine, we make a point of eating at a restaurant named for this luscious lipid. The menu is a paean to foods prepared with the eponymous ingredient, and we never fail to eat our fill of the excellent Belgian-style fries.
Cooking with duck fat can be daunting, but the effort is worthwhile. You can buy it from a specialty store or render your own at home. The first time I roasted a pair of whole ducks I was amazed by the amount of subcutaneous fat covering the breasts, which were truly well endowed.
You’ll need a large supply of duck fat to make Confit Duck Legs, a recipe calling for 35 ounces. Confit cookery requires that the duck be completely immersed in molten fat. When the dish cools the fat solidifies, preserving the flesh. This yields succulent duck with hints of garlic, nutmeg and thyme. The legs are great straight but best when crowning a cassoulet. Continue reading
Pure Vegetarian takes fried dough to all new heights with Doughnuts and Fresh Passion Fruit Juice
. The bite-sized fritters are made with sweetened condensed milk and flavored with cardamom, vanilla sugar, and fragrant orange zest. Dunk them in vibrant orange passion fruit juice for a tropical twist, and coffee will be jealous of this perfect pair.
Every morning I have to fight the urge to stop at the nearest bakery for a glazed, jelly-filled, or chocolate-frosted doughnut. But when I do give in and indulge, I prefer making them myself, because what’s not to love about fried dough served piping hot? I don’t discriminate when it comes to the type of doughnut I turn to, and that includes doughnut’s Italian relative, bomboloni, which are soft pillows of fried yeast-based dough resembling doughnut holes.
For a crowd-friendly version, I’m turning to Bomboloni with Chocolate Espresso, Whisky Caramel, and Clementine Sauces, which gives guests ample dipping options. Next up are Boozy Eggplant Jelly Bomboloni, which I know will be an excellent companion to my morning coffee. The fig-like subtle sweetness of eggplant jelly cooked with a touch of Armagnac makes these sugar-dusted treats explode with flavor.
I’m finishing dabbling in DIY doughnuts with Savory Duck Fat Doughnuts, in which duck fat subs for butter. The filling is comprised of shredded duck confit and a dollop of sour cherry compote. Need I say more?
What’s your favorite doughnut recipe?
Eating breakfast every morning not only jump starts your metabolism, but it also decreases your chances of overeating throughout the day. This week’s roundup shares a few brilliant breakfast recipes that will appease any appetite, while simultaneously starting your day off on the right foot.
- A Sweet Spoonful’s Slow-Roasted Rosemary Tomatoes pair well with eggs and toast for a simple and satisfying start to your day (pictured above).
- Don’t feel guilty about eating Prevention RD’s Orange Glazed Blueberry Doughnuts. At 98 calories each, you can eat two or three…or four.
- Tastes Better With Friend’s updates the classic Bloody Mary by substituting bacon for the traditional celery stick stirrer in his Bacon Swizzle Stick Bloody Mary.
- The Edible Perspective’s Quinoa Breakfast Parfait, made with Greek yogurt and peanut butter, will get you energized and keep you satisfied for the long day ahead.
- Put the “fast” in “breakfast” with Live Love Pasta’s Breakfast Burritos that are perfect for snacking on-the-go.
- Breakfast doesn’t always mean dairy has to be apart of the equation. Big Girls Small Kitchen use almond milk to increase the nutty flavor in their Sweet Almond Pancakes with Fresh Raspberries .
- Get your caffeine fix with Kiss My Spatula’s Vietnamese Iced Coffee. Made with sweetened condensed milk, this morning pick-me-up is a cool burst of flavor.
Deborah Harroun of Taste and Tell gave traditional cake doughnuts a sweet update by making them in luscious red velvet. She then dipped her crimson-hued buttermilk and cocoa-flavored confections in a homemade vanilla glaze.