Photo: Lara Ferroni
New Year’s Eve is a night for champagne, toasts, songs, celebrating, and hors d’oeuvres. With bite-sized delights like pigs in blankets, spanitkopita, mini quiche, crostini, deviled eggs, arancini, crab cakes, gougères, chicken satay, meatballs, bacon wrapped dates, shrimp cocktail, blinis with caviar, and empanandas, there is plenty of finger-friendly fare to choose from. But, we want you to tell us:
What’s your favorite hors d’oeuvre?
#TomatoLove is trending this month on Twitter, as large, luscious tomatoes are blooming all over. To celebrate this beloved fruit, we’re rounding up a variety of tomato-inspired recipes to enjoy all summer long.
- For starters, try Naturally Ella’s Roasted Tomato and Corn Salsa (pictured above), which is made with cherry tomatoes, sweet corn, and cilantro.
- Chef Margo has modified a Spanish staple to include fresh fruit in Grilled Peach and Tomato Gazpacho.
- Oh Cake’s Spinach and Feta-Stuffed Tomatoes fills large, juicy tomatoes with spinach, Feta cheese, red onions, whole wheat breadcrumbs, and toasted pine nuts.
- Raymond Blanc’s Summer Tomato Tart stars halved cherry tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and sliced black olives atop a buttery puff pastry crust.
- Pasta and tomatoes are a tried and true pair, so enjoy Gimme Some Oven’s Pasta with Slow-Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic and Parmesan for a simple,well-seasoned pasta dish.
- Bake Your Day spices things up with Mexican Veggie Flatbread, a cheesy combo of pepper-Jack cheese, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, black beans, green peppers, and cilantro, all loaded stop flatbread smothered with avocado spread.
- The Breathing Kitchen’s Spring Bruschetta tops crunchy, toasted slices of bread with Fava beans, crushed tomatoes, and olive oil.
Raw or cooked, spinach is one of the most versatile ingredients that’s perfect for plumping up salads or adding a punch of healthy flavor to sautés, sides, sandwiches, and more. This week, we’re turning to the all-star green with a roundup of our favorite spinach-inspired recipes from across the Web.
- Souders Cookery’s Herbed Spinach Quiche Portabella Caps piles Parmesan cheese, eggs, bread crumbs, herbs, and spinach inside meaty portabella cups (pictured above).
- Imprintalish’s Strawberry, Spinach and Poppy Seed Salad mixes fresh baby spinach, sliced strawberries, almonds, and red onions with a poppy seed, paprika, and apple cider vinaigrette dressing.
- Spice up your salad with Kalyn’s Kitchen’s Asian Spinach Salad with Chicken, Mushrooms, Peppers and Almonds.
- Bijouxs’ Creamy Spinach Sauce with Pancetta takes leafy greens to all new heights with the addition of salty, rich Italian bacon.
- Healthy, Happy, Life offers five versions of Vegan Spinach Dip that’s big on flavor and light on calories.
- Spinach pairs perfectly with pasta in Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups from It’s Overflowing.
- Salted Spoon’s Bacon, Brie and Spinach Quiche transforms everyday eggs into a standout breakfast or brunch dish.