It’d be next to impossible to go all of April without acknowledging that it’s also National Grilled Cheese Month. Food blogs have been oozing with crispy, chewy, and melty additions to this comforting classic. While scoping out my favorite combinations, I had a revelation: grilled cheese is the best thing since sliced bread. Here’s to hoping April brings a side of tomato soup along with those May flowers.
- Our Kitchen Sinks’ Grilled Gruyere and Sweet Onions layers sweet onions and sharp cheese with dill pickles for the makings of a perfect sandwich (pictured above).
- Panini Happy’s Brie, Basil, Bacon & Blue Panini is green, grilled and blue all over… a crusty french baguette.
- Grilled Beer and Cheese Sandwich from Honest Fare piles worcestershire-spiced onions on top of dense, home-baked beer bread.
- E is for Eat’s whimsical Brie and Green Bean Casserole Grilled Cheese Sliders nixes the Cream of Mushroom in favor of fresh cimini, shredded green beans, and hand-battered shallots.
- BS In The Kitchen’s Beet, Arugula and Goat Cheese Grilled Cheese takes the famed salad trio for a spin on the griddle.
- Like an elegant cheese platter, buttery havarti and crisp pear sit side-by-side on Foodie Crush’s Sweet Pear and Rosemary Honey with Havarti Grilled Cheese
- Closet Cooking perfects pub fare with a Corned Beef Grilled Cheese boasting deeply flavorful Guinness caramelized onions and sharp cheddar.
- From Away teaches you how to avoid the pre-sliced plastic variety of American cheese in favor of a less mysterious, but equally palatable Homemade American Cheese.