When did munching between meals become taboo? The overly-stigmatized ritual is only problematic when junk food boxes and bags are emptied in a matter of hours, not days. Instead, ditch your 100-calorie packs and cook up a healthy snack that can suit the palate of even the most refined three-square-meal food purist. Think of these as medians between ants-on-a-log and canapé.
- Curry gives Sprouted Kitchen’s Spiced Pomme Frites with Cucumber Dip a kick of heat, while the complementing coolness a low-fat yogurt dip trumps ranch in both protein content and zesty flavor (picture above).
- Similar to hummus in texture, Inspired Edibles’ Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Bean Dip with Warming Chili Garlic Sauce abandons the chickpea as a base in favor of the creamy and fiber-packed cannellini bean.
- Sweet Pea Kitchen’s Honey Cinnamon Roasted Chickpeas are a low-fat alternative to candied nuts. If you’re feeling especially daring, add a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Roasting Once Upon A Chef’s Crispy Kale Chips with Lemon and Parmesan replaces the raw kale’s bitterness with a smoky, caramelized crunch.
- No white flour here. Roost’s Savory Pecan Biscuits with Garlic-Herb Confit & Crispy Sage utilize garlic’s sweet pungency as a smooth topping for nutty, buttery biscuits made with almond and pecan meal.
- A bowl of Lottie + Doof’s fragrant Rosemary Cashews on the kitchen counter makes for a pretty party snack.
- Kitchen Table Scraps’ Sangria Jam can use up leftover fruit scraps from the famous Spanish cocktail—or make a new pitcher for jam’s sake! Serve with versatile home-baked Whole Wheat Crackers.