Summer’s not the only time to pickle and preserve in-season ingredients. Winter hosts a number of wonderful ingredients ready to be pickled in vinegar and spices, or simmered into bright citrus jams and curds.
- The Year In Food stews together a variety of citrus fruits for a quick, tart topping for Buckwheat Pancakes (pictured above).
- Add a few golden-emerald dollops of Jammy Chicken’s Lime Curd to yogurt, or spread it luxuriously on scones.
- Vanilla bean and cinnamon are added to Banana Jam from Souvlaki For the Soul for a unique way to use ripe bananas.
- Start your morning by spreading tart and tangy Bergamot Vanilla Bean Marmalade on hot buttered toast with this recipe from Chez Us.
- Smitten Kitchen’s Pickled Grapes with Cinnamon and Black Pepper demonstrate the softer side of pickling with a hint of mustard seed and black pepper in a syrupy-sweet brine that will give this pickle a subdued pucker.
- Rock Recipe’s Pink Peppercorn Pickled Red Onions make a piquant topping for pulled chicken or pork sandwiches.
- Pictures and Pancakes offers a wonderful way to pickle beyond the cucumber with recipes for Pickled Fennel and Beets.