Enjoy an exclusive recipe from the recently released Gourmet Italian Kitchen Special Edition, which features endless easy weeknight pasta recipes, pizzas for every palate and decadent desserts. Get the oven pre-heated for Truffled Taleggio and Mushroom Pizza, then order your copy of Gourmet Italian Kitchen for the ultimate collection of classic Italian eats.Truffled Taleggio and Mushroom Pizza
Four ingredients and a few minutes are all it takes to put together this crisp, bubbly masterpiece. A quick drizzle of truffle oil adds a final decadent flourish. You may never order in again. Makes 4 servings
Active time: 10 min // Total time: 30 minIngredients:
- 1 lb pizza dough, thawed completely if frozen
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 3⁄4 lb cold Taleggio or Italian Fontina, rind discarded and cheese sliced
- 1 tsp white truffle oil (optional)
17-by-14-inch sheet of parchment paper Instructions:
- Put a large heavy baking sheet (17 by 14 inches) on lowest rack of oven, then preheat oven to 500°F.
- Stretch out dough on a lightly floured surface, pulling on corners to form a roughly 16-by-13-inch rectangle. (Dough will be easier to stretch as it warms.) Transfer to a large tray lined with parchment paper. Lightly prick dough all over with a fork.
- Slide dough (still on parchment) onto hot baking sheet. Bake until top is puffed and pale golden in patches, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven; prick any large bubbles with a fork and flatten. Scatter mushrooms over crust, then season with salt and pepper and lay cheese on top.
- Bake pizza until edge of crust is deep golden and cheese is bubbling and golden in patches, 8 to 10 minutes. Drizzle with truffle oil (is using) and season with pepper. Serve immediately.