Get a sweet start to 2011 with this special recipe for Gingerbread Loaf provided by renowned chef Thomas Keller’s Bouchon Bakery and Sebastien Rouxel, Executive Pastry Chef of the Thomas Keller Restaurant Group.
Bouchon Bakery Gingerbread Loaf
Makes 8-12 slices
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup + 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves powder
- Zest of one lemon
- 1.5 cups boiling water
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Mix the molasses with the dark brown sugar to dissolve the sugar. Add the oil and mix with a metal whisk to combine. Add the egg and whisk to combine.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and spices then add to the molasses mix. If incorporating by hand, fold in the dry ingredients with a spatula until combined. If using a mixer, add the dry ingredients slowly until combined with the mixer on the slowest setting.
- Next, fold in the lemon zest and slowly add the boiling water. The mixture will be very loose.
- Pour into the pan. Wrap well then freeze until solid, at least one hour however time will vary based on the freezer. This will ensure the gingerbread cooks evenly.
- Bake at 325 Fahrenheit for 30 minute. Cool on a rack then remove from the pan.
- To finish, garnish with cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans, star Anise, clove, candied orange and sugar icing.